Our favorite day of the week is here again, happy fiber optic Friday everyone! In honor of #FOF we decided to post about a new microscope developed using fiber optics that is helping scientists get deeper into the brain to explore!!
A team of Neuroscientists and bioengineers at the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus created a miniature, fiber-optic microscope that is able to look deep into the brain. Most microscopes only go about a millimeter into the brain, and a lot of important things we want to see are much deeper. The fiber optic lens also allows you to adjust the lens, while most current models are fixed. The microscope works fast and is not motion sensitive, giving scientists and doctors a much clearer view of what’s inside.
The microscope has a thin fiber optic cord that is mounted on the head so the person, or animal, can move while the brain is being examined. Parts of the brain like the amygdala will now be available to look at for the first time. This new advance will help with understanding brain disease and creating new treatments. One small step for fiber optics, one giant leap for mankind!!
Happy fiber optic Friday everyone!
It’s never too late to find your dream job! Whether you’re a recent college grad, or you’ve been in the same position for 20 years, it’s important to find a job you love. Technology has become so advanced that finding a job has become easier than ever! Not only are we able to browse hundreds of posting instantly, we’re also able to speak with hiring managers all over the country. Here are the four tips to landing your dream job!
Apply to jobs that aren’t listed!
Many companies hire through referrals and skip the job listing process all together, so it’s important to network as much as possible. Get your resume out there so that when jobs become available you are the first applicant companies think of. Sites like LinkedIn are great for making connections and “getting your foot in the door”.
Don’t rely on your resume!
With so much other technology available, you are now able to have a much more 3D application. Be sure to keep a Twitter, LinkedIn, and a blog so that employers are able to see more than a list of your accomplishments and best attributes. This can also help you stand out among other applicants who have relied solely on their resume.
Put less focus on the money!
People expect that as they gain experience their pay should be increasing, but it’s important to not put too much emphasis on the paychecks. Most of the best entrepreneurs started in garages and basements barely making enough to survive. People like Steve Jobs and Richard Branson found a passion and worked tirelessly to meet their goals. Find something you love and the money will follow.
While it may be tempting to quit you day job and put all your effort into your job search, this might not lead to a dream job. Finding a new job doesn’t happen overnight and you do not want to rush the process. After a month or two of applying to jobs with no luck it can be tempting to take something, anything, to get back to work. If you’re really looking to find a job that is a great fit for you, staying in your current position will take off some financial pressure.
Feeling stuck at work? Here are five tips to help succeed in business!!
1. Treat customers like guests in your home! Without customers, your business wouldn’t exist, so be sure to put them first! Listen to feedback from customers to find things that can be improved! Being attentive will also help make repeat customers!
2. Embrace the cloud! There’s a ton of different tools available to you that can help your business! It’s important to keep up with technology and it is clear that the cloud is going to remain to grow in popularity in the coming years!
3. Learn from your Mistakes! It is easy to attribute mistakes to outside factors and brush them off, but it’s important to really get to the bottom of them and fix problems. Mistakes are bound to happen so get what you can from them!
4. Have good communication within the company! Make sure all employees feel comfortable communicating their ideas about the company. When all the employees and motivated and engaged, it will lead to an overall better product!
5. Love what you do!! Ask any of the most successful entrepreneurs out there what made them succeed and they will say it was their passion for the work. When you care about what you do it becomes more than just a job!
Here is our book recommendation of the week!
Think and Grow Rich - Napoleon Hill
This book focuses on the importance of interpersonal skills. The author of this book, Napoleon Hill, was a friend of Andrew Carnegie who was the world’s richest man at a point. Hill filled the book with advice he learned from Carnegie throughout the years. It focuses on building meaningful relationships and practicing leadership that people can try immediately.
It’s Cinco De Mayo and everyone here at Fast Trak is excited to celebrate! In honor of Cinco de Mayo we composed a list of fun facts about Mexico to kick off you celebration!
1. Mexico’s official name is the “United Mexican States”
2. Mexico has 68 official languages
3. Artists in Mexico can pay their taxes with artwork
4. The world’s largest pyramid is in Mexico, not Egypt!
5. The Aztecs sacrificed 1% of their population every year (250,000 people).
6. Mexican’s 34th president quit in less than one hour
7. Yucatan, Mexico was named on accident. The Spaniard’s asked the locals what is was called and they said “Yucatan” which meant “I don’t understand you” in their native language.
In honor of throwback Thursday we decided to post some old pictures of Fast Trak through the years! Ch-ch-check them out!!