Great leadership can be the difference between a company being the top industry leader, and failing. Several employees who used to work under Steve Jobs will comment on how he was able to do things they never thought were possible. Below we have listed five things leaders should never do if they want their companies to succeed!
1. Have too much pride: Success has a way of inflating even the best leaders’ egos. It is important to stay grounded. Success can create a false sense of security and will quickly lead you to your downfall if you get too comfortable.
2. Listen to negative influences: People are quick to give advice so be sure to filter the advice you actually take. Listen to advice of people you admire and who are doing well, tune out the others.
3. Trust Blindly: Keep people on short leashes until they are able to prove themselves. This is not to say you need to micro-manage, but give them a task to prove their skills before you give them work that could have a big effect on the company!
4. Focus on the Short term: Business is a marathon, not a sprint. Be sure to treat it that way. Focusing on the next quarter, instead of the next year, can harm your business.
5. Blame others when things go wrong: The best leaders look in the mirror when mistakes happen. As a leader, you are responsible for the culture and success of the team, so take accountability.