Happy fiber optic Friday everyone!! Here are seven fun facts about fiber optics to kick off your weekend with!
1. Fiber optics can bring up the value of your home by $5,000!!
2. NASA uses fiber optics because they are lightweight!
3. Fiber optics are good for the environment!! They use less energy than other methods and leave a smaller carbon footprint!
4. Fiber optics are old! The technology has actually been around since the 1870′s!!
5. Fiber optics are secure! It is much more expensive and difficult to tap into fiber optics than it is with copper and normal wiring
6. Sharks are trying to eat the internet! They have been chewing on cables that are installed underwater.
7. The internet’s undersea backbone is built to last for the next 25 years! Wow!
Now that college graduation season is coming to an end, we thought it would be the perfect time to post some interview tips! So check out our top five tips for the perfect interview!!
1. Research the company!! We cannot stress this one enough! It’s important to come to a job interview prepared with knowledge about the company. Many companies will want to know how you can help their company, which will be a difficult question to answer if you aren’t sure what their company does!
2. Clean out your social media! Over 90% of employers are going to search your social media before you even step in the door, so be sure that you’re profiles are appropriate. Apps like Social Sweepster will go through your profiles and detect red solo cups, beer bottles, and other things that may be a red flag like profanity.
3. Have a great story statement!! When the hiring manager says “tell me about yourself” it’s good to have something more interesting to say than what college you attended. Add some of your personality to it to make you stand out. Be sure that your story statement is tailored to the position you’re currently applying for and has relevant information.
4. Be on time! Aim to arrive early, there is no reason to be late for an interview. Being late is a bad first impression and will start the interview on the wrong foot. Arriving about 15 minutes early will also give you time to complete any paperwork the company may have for you.
5. Dress the part! While this seems obvious, many people don’t realize they are wearing something unprofessional. Something overly distracting, like long bright fingernails, could hurt your chances at landing the position. Other things to avoid would be tight clothes, clothes that are too revealing, or something too casual.
As a new, or existing, business it is important to have social media to reach your customers. Here are five tips on how to conquer the social media world for your small business!
1. Use large networks like Twitter! With over 200 million active users, you will be able to reach your customers. Interacting with customers makes them 72% more likely to make a future purchase with your business! This also allows you to connect with your customers and quickly address problems that may come up.
2. Analyze past content! Certain keywords and hashtags will gain the attention of more users and expand your reach. It’s important to be getting the maximum reach possible. It is also important to analyze each social media platform individually to see what will work best.
3. Use images in your post! Adding images to posts and tweets will help draw attention to the post. With 6,000 tweets per second on Twitter, it’s important to have something that stands out on your posts.
4. Switch up content formats! Having variety in your posts will grab the attention of more people. Things like videos and articles can be used to make your post more interesting to the reader.
5. Be consistent! Be sure that you are consistently posting content to your followers! This will help you gain followers (and customers!) and it will also help with your search engine optimization!
Check out this great TED talk about how to make stress your friend!
Our favorite day of the week is here again, happy fiber optic Friday everyone! In honor of #FOF we decided to post about a new microscope developed using fiber optics that is helping scientists get deeper into the brain to explore!!
A team of Neuroscientists and bioengineers at the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus created a miniature, fiber-optic microscope that is able to look deep into the brain. Most microscopes only go about a millimeter into the brain, and a lot of important things we want to see are much deeper. The fiber optic lens also allows you to adjust the lens, while most current models are fixed. The microscope works fast and is not motion sensitive, giving scientists and doctors a much clearer view of what’s inside.
The microscope has a thin fiber optic cord that is mounted on the head so the person, or animal, can move while the brain is being examined. Parts of the brain like the amygdala will now be available to look at for the first time. This new advance will help with understanding brain disease and creating new treatments. One small step for fiber optics, one giant leap for mankind!!
Happy fiber optic Friday everyone!